Geodesignhub OSM Evaluation Maps Builder
This program uses Openstreetmap data to develop Evaluation maps for Geodesignhub. It uses simple rules to parse the existing data and build evaluation maps that can be used directly on Geodesignhub.
Making evaluation maps is the most time consuming part of a Geodesign study, using this script it can be automated. The following evaluation maps are generated:
- Residential (RES)
- Commerce (COM)
- Parks and Recreation (PREC)
- Active Transport (ATRANS)
- Public Transport (PTRANS)
- Community Facilities (COMFAC)
- Tourism (TOUR)
Find out more about evaluation maps at the Making Evaluations Maps in our community page.
At the moment, this is best suited for generating evaluations at local area level and for studies for where the study area is neighbourhoods, few streets etc. For larger areas this type of Evaluation map creation is not recommended.
If you are new to Geodesignhub, please see our course at Teachable.com
Use the requirements.txt file to install libraries that are required for the program
pip install -r requirements.txt
1. Download raw data
- Open QGIS and load your boundary polygon
- Go to the “Vector” menu and download OSM file for your study area. A data.osm file will be saved to the directory that you specify.
- Download and install OSMtoGeoJSON
- Convert your .osm file to a .geojson file, you are now ready to process this geojson file.
2. Update config.py
- In config.py set path of the converted GeoJSON file.
- Set the aoibounds parameter to set the bounding box co-ordinates in
3. Upload Evaluations
- Run the
OSM-evaluations-generator.pyscript and check the
outputfolder for the Evaluation GeoJSON that can be uploaded to Geodesignhub